This is a great summer salad. What I like about it is that you are not heating up the house by roasting the onions in the oven. The grill is such a great culinary tool. There are many ways to grill onions. I like to do it the way I suggest in this recipe because by cutting the onions in half and leaving the skins on you are essentially steaming the onions, as well as, grilling them. I also like the use of sherry vinegar in this recipe. You could of course use balsamic or red wine vinegar. But I personally like the sweetness the sherry vinegar imparts on the naturally sweet onions. I also suggest using a good quality extra virgin olive oil, perhaps an oil from Spain since you are using a sherry vinegar. Enjoy!
Grilled Onion and Cherry Tomato Salad
• 2 white onions, skins on and cut in half
• 1 cup cherry tomatoes
• 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
• 2 tablespoons marjoram, finely minced
• 2 tablespoons oregano, finely minced
• ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling on the onions before grilling
• 3 tablespoons of sherry vinegar
• Kosher salt & freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
1. Pre-heat your grill to high.
2. Drizzle extra virgin olive oil onto the cut sides of the onions. Season the onions with salt and pepper. Place the onions onto the grill skin side down. Lower the heat to medium. Let them cook for 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, mince the garlic, marjoram and oregano. Combine them together in a medium sized bowl. Add the tomatoes.
4. After five minutes, turn the onions and cook another 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes turn the onions again and cook for an additional 5 minutes. The onions are done when they are soft and the exterior is charred.
5. Let the onions cool slightly. Remove the charred skin. Slice the onions about a ½ inch wide. Place the onions into the bowl with the herbs and tomatoes. Add the extra virgin olive oil and sherry vinegar. Toss the ingredients together. Season the salad with salt and pepper. Serve. Buon Appetito!
Living to eat,